Monday, February 21, 2011

Day One on the Vegan Diet - Engine 2 Immersion

Today ends the first full day into the Engine 2 Immersion program.  This is the kick-off for the 28 days of vegan diet. The program officially began yesterday afternoon, with dinner on Sunday being the first meal into 28 days free from meat, dairy, oil, and processed foods.

It is 10pm Austin time, and I am exhausted.  The day began at 6:45 with a Crossfit work-out (modified Tabata squats), was filled with a day of lectures from the leaders in today's Plant Strong/Nutrient Dense/Vegan diet food movement, and ended with a motivational speaker.  

Although I attempted to reintroduce grain into my diet over the last week in preparation for this trip, I was not fully prepared for the shock to my system from the amount of grain and legumes consumed today.  And I am not alone. I should have taken notice when the medical doctor on staff offered to the entire group "a pill that will help with any gas for those of us not used to eating so many vegetables".

As someone who follows the Paleo diet, I have been eating  a diet high in vegetables, meat, eggs, nuts, seeds and fruit.  It is not the amount of vegetables, but the addition of grain that has me concerned.  I am committed to following the program, and hopeful that my system will acclimate to the new diet within the next 24-48 hours (as I have been told that it would).

No comments:

Post a Comment